A wildfire in the Patagonia Mountains grew to 10,775 acres Thursday, as crews set fire to grass and brush to establish a perimeter around the blaze, southwest of Patagonia.Containment, the measure of how effectively that perimeter has been established, also grew, from 15 percent to 70 percent."Most of that fire was ours," said Michelle Fidler, spokeswoman for the team fighting the ...
PHOENIX - The most far-flung suburbs of Phoenix are the new nirvana, if figures just released by the U.S. Census Bureau are any indicator. The rest of Arizona, including Tucson, not so much.Buckeye led the state with 4.1 percent growth in population between 2011 and 2012 - a figure that also ranks the rapidly sprawling community 30 miles west of downtown Phoenix as the ninth-fastest-growing in ...
www.tucsonaz.gov/esd County garbage and recyclingo All county landfills and transfer stations will be closed Monday. This includes the Tangerine Road, Ajo and Sahuarita landfills, and the Ryan Airfield and Catalina transfer stations. All landfills reopen Tuesday; the transfer stations will reopen Thursday. For information, call 724-7400. For recycling or waste collection in Pima County, call ...
Dennis Burke, the former U.S. attorney for Arizona, tried to undermine a whistleblower in the Fast and Furious gun-trafficking case by leaking a document to a journalist, but he failed.The reason is significant: The journalist, Fox News producer Mike Levine, checked out Burke's information and declined to pursue the story.Burke's episodes of leaking information about Operation Fast and ...
A couple described as elderly were struck by an SUV and critically injured while leaving Mountain View High School's graduation Thursday night.The couple's daughter was pushing her mother in a wheelchair, and her father was walking by his wife's side, as they crossed North Thornydale Road south of West Linda Vista Boulevard, said Capt. Adam Goldberg, a Northwest Fire District ...
The Postman (Il Postino)
Michael Radford's "The Postman (Il Postino)" is the beautiful and moving story of an unlikely friendship between a simple man and a profound poet. The man, Mario Ruppolo (brought to life with wonderful charm and feeling by the late Massimo Troisi) is a postman on a small Italian island in the early 1950s. The island is so small and backward that everyone seems to be either an illiterate fisherman ... ...
Two pedestrians were struck and critically injured outside Mountain View High School in Marana Unified School District tonight while leaving graduation ceremonies, authorities say.A woman who was in a wheelchair and a man who was with her were struck and suffered life-threatening injuries, said Capt. Adam Goldberg of the Northwest Fire District. Both are described as elderly.The woman in ...
Jodi Arias addresses the jury during the penalty phase of her murder trial at Maricopa County Superior Court in Phoenix, Arizona May 21, ...
PHOENIX (AP) -- Jurors have deadlocked on a verdict of life or death for Jodi Arias in the 2008 killing of her one-time boyfriend.The judge declared a mistrial in the penalty phase. Another panel will be seated and the sentencing process will begin anew in July.The jury found Arias guilty of first-degree murder May 8 and later determined the killing was cruel enough to merit consideration of the ...
Lack of Stringent U.S. CMBS Underwriting Could Affect REITs Changes in the availability, pricing, and underwriting stringency of U.S. CMBS financing could affect REITs directly and indirectly, according to Fitch Ratings. In addition, a boom-or-bust cycle for CMBS loan performance would negatively affect REITs that regularly access the CMBS ...
The Padres were 7-2 at Chase Field last season, their best record ever at what had been a house of horrors. Going into 2012, the Padres had an all-time record of 38-83 at the Diamondbacks downtown Phoenix home. Arizona opens the weekend in a dead heat with San Francisco and Colorado for the National League West lead. The Padres won two of the first three games played against Arizona May 3-5 at ...
Reported in the press
We must define the nature and scope of this struggle, or else it will define us. Neither I, nor any President can promise the total defeat of terror. What we must do is dismantle networks that pose a direct danger.
The U.S. president was speaking on his administration's counter terrorism policy.
The Helmsley Park Lane, New York
The best feature of this hotel is its location, overlooking Central Park in the heart of Manhattan. The hotel also ...Keep reading
Have Your Say
The Boy Scouts of America National Council has resolved to accept gay members. Do you agree with this policy?
Tucson PostTucson Post: News about Tucson, Arizona
We work strenuously to bring our readers a completely independent perspective of Tucson news. Our software programmers, editors, journalists and affiliated wire services are all dedicated to producing the best journalism possible.
This in a world where conflicts of interest pervade business empires, and political dynasties, and where a shrinking number of media proprietors are growing their interests at the expensive of diversity of media ownership. The Tucson Post is an independent online newspaper. Our focus primarily is to produce the latest breaking stories out of Tucson.
We also cover the nation. Regional news too is a priority, as is our extensive world news coverage. For a Tucson weather report, local news, breaking international headlines, or what's happening in sports, the Tucson Post is for you.
Our Business Centre too is active 24 hours a day, bringing you the latest market updates from key global centres like Tokyo, Sydney, London, Paris, Berlin, and New York. Foreign exchange rates are a regular feature, and we provides a vast range of general interest news covering topics like business travel, seniors, womens interest, and lifestyle stories.
University of Arizona researchers have found a possible reason for the reversible memory loss that some patients experience while taking statins, a class of global top-selling cholesterol-lowering drugs.
They have made a novel discovery in brain cells being treated with statin drugs: unusual swellings within neurons, which the team has termed the "beads-on-a-string" effect.
The team is not entirely sure why the beads form, said UA neuroscientist Linda L. Restifo, who leads the investigation. However, the team believes that further investigation of the beads will help inform why some people experience cognitive declines while taking statins.
"What we think we've found is a laboratory demonstration of a problem in the neuron that is a more severe version for what is happening in some peoples' brains when they take statins," said Restifo, a UA professor of neuroscience, neurology and cellular and molecular medicine, and principal investigator on the project.
Robert Kraft, a former research associate in the department of neuroscience, is lead author on the article.
Restifo and Kraft cite clinical reports noting that statin users often are told by physicians that cognitive disturbances experienced while taking statins were likely due to aging or other effects. ...
- Friend of Boston bombers had confessed to 2011 triple murders claims FBI
- Drone strikes are legal and extend to US citizens as well, says Obama
- Two civilians among 13 dead in Pakistan car bomb
- Kerry holds talks with Israeli and Palestinian officials
- Meeting of Syrian opposition leaders begins in Istanbul
- Major Ike problems require ‘minor’ solution
- N.J. runner has gone from mud hut
- WR Barden returns to Giants on 1-year deal
- Fill-ins are fun but no match for the DL crew
- Kreider’s OT winner keeps Rangers breathing
- Turning off technology hours before bedtime promotes sound sleep
- Cook says Pietersen progressing well to be fit in time for Ashes
- Secrets behind itching revealed
- TV characters slammed for on-screen unhealthy lifestyles
- DC comics win court case over Melbourne gyms Superman workout
- Jitendra Singh urges states to take action to curb illegal practices in sports
- Sports Minister lauds amputee Everest climber Arunima Sinha
- Racist Oz broadcaster Morrow spared the sack but banned from marquee events this season
- Spot-Fixing row Sports Minister says my head hangs in shame today
- ESPN lays offs some of its employees to control costsAmendedESPN EmployeeUpdate
- Twitter beefs up security with two-step login
- Hong Kong shares slide to 4-week low on China growth concerns
- UPDATE 1-Russias top social network blacklisted by regulator
- Dwell Media Hires New Head of Digital from Yahoo
- Rapture-Palooza Star Anna Kendrick Is Addicted to Reddit
- EAD cracks down on environmental policy violations
- Placer Vineyards project faces environmental review
- George Monbiots book dreams of a wilder Britain
- Plane hits trees crashes near airport
- Environment Minister Alex Attwood blasted by Unesco over Causeway resort
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Tucson Post headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Crews set their own fires to slow 10775-acre blaze near Patagonia
- Rest of AZ lags Phx. suburbs in growth
- Whats closed on Memorial Day
- Tim Steller Every leaker acts out of self-interest
- SUV severely injures couple at Mtn. View graduation